Monday, September 11, 2006

Last.FM - Not ready for prime time

I use Last.FM at work on my Windows PC. It works great. Basicly Last.FM is a service a lot like Pandora in which you set up sreaming radio staions and they provide links to buy the music that you like. The largest difference between them is the implamentation. Pandora uses a java applet on a webpage and Last.FM requires you to install a player.



The mandatory player is very buggy on OS X at this point. I tried setup on a Mac Mini (non-intel) and on my G4 iBook. In addition I had a friend attempt the same setup on his Intel based iMac. On bot the Mini and iMac the installs went as planned with no errors. However when we attempted to run the program it would launch and the shut down with no errors at all. I was not even able to install Last.FM on my iBook at all.



We tried installing from a clean boot with nothing else running and rebooting after install to see if the program would run. No success. At the moment it looks like Last.FM is not ready yet. I will report my findings to there tech support and see if we can make it work. I will update this review as new information becomes available.

No comments: